Sunday, March 6, 2011

Christchurch don't grow cold.

Don't see the punished boy,
who stole light fittings and switches
in the night, where you are frightened
that thieves do take.

Don't punish the boy who looks for light,
to understand and hold what might make
him whole in the quake his life has
never stopped.

The boy in disaster of a
broken mind that a switch might connect
and give him rest, from searching
for the place his tremor stops.

See if you can sense his spirit trapped
behind a blackened eye and vacant look,
bring him to carry the water buckets
and shovel the silt, and excitedly talk with you while
eating sausages on bread with too much sauce for one.

Soon he could be like you,
his light found in your love.
To stand with you and rebuild the town struck down,
the Christchurch town,
don't grow cold.

3 comments:

  1. You ask for compassion and humanity from people for whom compassion and humanity has been pouring in from all round the world. I wonder if they will realise this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really Appreciate this and I know Arie does to - Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  3. My pleasure. I can tell by what I read of Arie that he is a special young man and I was made sad for him by what I recall of myself when I have judged others without understanding them, then sad for the country that we don't always understand the special things those like Arie so willingly give.
    I've read that he has appealed to have his guilty plea vacated and I wish him all the very best with that because it's clear, from even many hundreds of miles away, he formed no intention to steal anything.

    ReplyDelete